CVRPC Forum  

Go Back   CVRPC Forum > The Lodge

Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Monkey with a Gun

Default Rimfire Silhouette

I was wondering if any of the rimfire rifle shooters were on the forum yet. I would like some information regarding the silhouette matches. I may be interested in this and would like information on equipment, categories or classes, etc.

Anyone care to chime in ?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 PM
sugar bear

We shoot rimfire pistols Ken but there has been some scuttlebutt about letting rimfire rifle shooters join in but don't know where we are with that. We shoot second Saturday in the month. Bring what you got in rimfire pistols and shoot. You can bring your bigger pistols with a straight walled case to shoot field pistol. Just come on out there will be something to shoot I promise.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Strikerman

Thumbs up 22LR competition

Ken,
I know of no current “rifle silhouette” league organized at the club at this time. Feel free to dive right in and organize a league. Like Joe said, you are more than welcome to give IHMSA smallbore (.22LR) competition a try, the 2nd Saturday of the month. You will need to get to the range around 9:30am. Practically any 22 Long Rifle pistol can get you started in the “Production-Standing” category. One of the best platforms with which to start IHMSA competition is the Thompson Center Contender. With the Contender’s ability to change barrels in a matter of minutes; it gives you a relatively inexpensive way to compete in several categories with one each 10 inch and 14 inch 22LR barrels. If you do not already own a Contender, I would be very surprised if you were not able to find what you need within the club. Ronny and Steve are the go-to guys when it comes to the scoop on IHMSA. They have probably forgotten more about IHMSA competition than I know! Even if you don’t own a 22 pistol, come to a match. Almost everyone brings more guns than they can shoot in a day. So I’m sure we will be able to find you several guns to shoot. Hope to see you at the next match.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Monkey with a Gun

Ahhhh, okay. I was kinda interested in turning my Ruger 10/22 into a space gun, or shooting my old bolt-action a bit. Not really into the 22 pistols, but if I can come by I will and may have my mind changed.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
sugar bear

"and may have my mind changed"

You will change your mind.

You will have far less disapointment in pistol silhouette than smallbore rifle silhouette. I have shot both and I will choose pistol any day.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Monkey with a Gun

What is the preferred brand of ammo, or does it make a lot of difference as long as it is match grade ?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 AM
sugar bear

It doesn't always have to be match grade, Just depends on your particular gun's appetite. Mine likes Eley Target rifle and SK Jagd standard plus. Some federal stuff aint half bad. The important thing is using standard velocity. Some try to use high vel and wonder why they have trouble on turkeys and rams. The high vel stuff will be very erattic past about 50yds because it reaches trans sonic stage and destabilizes. I know. I had to prove to myself that high vel just won't work.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Cap'n Bluedot

Ken, you will find as many opinions on ammo as there are...... well you know the saying about opinions! The deal is find a weapon that shoots a decent group at 100-150 yardsand feed it the cheapest ammo that will be cosistent in it and have fun.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Monkey with a Gun

Thumbs up

Thanks Capn' and Sugar, kinda what I expected, was just wanting to know that I was thinking along the right lines.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Monkey with a Gun

This just looks like a lot of good, challenging fun.

Tactical Rimfire

Ken V.